Monday 19 March 2018

Being A Farmers Daughter



So, many of my posts have been quite serious, however I wanted to produce something that was full of facts against the vegan protests instead of with opinions. I feel strongly about this as many others do as even though I have not chosen farming as a career choice I still see it through my father.


Working on the farm will stay with me the rest of my life.



It made me hard working, even when I didn’t want to and was dragged out the house in my pyjamas and wellies to help chase cattle, it taught me what work was. Never having a day off, cutting grass till 3 am and milking by 5am, was the best experience, it makes me a better worker in my other career choice.



It made me hugely sympathetic and caring as a person. If I had to miss a milking or was unable to feed the calves due to school or other commitments, I would not stopping thinking about that calf that needed extra help drinking or general jobs that needed done. Even though I was away I could not stop caring about the cattle. It made me love cows, like they are just amazing creatures and I had the honour of having them in my care, and enabling it to be amazing care- despite little conversation on their part. You would do anything in your power to ensure they were happy.



Working on the farm taught me how to appreciate. The freedom of land to play and work was something I took for granted in my childhood. 
I appreciate where my food comes from and all the hard work in my community to enjoy such amazing produce. It made me appreciate my father who has chosen to do this his whole life, to provide for me and my brothers and all the sacrifice’s he made for us, and the cows. Looking after the cows taught me how to appreciate my position, I was able to care for these amazing cows, I appreciated being able to do a job where I could work alongside them all day.



Working on the farm also gave me knowledge of farming practices. From dehorning to jagging cattle. From simply knowing how to handle cattle and understand them is something I didn’t realise wasn't common knowledge. As I did not realise how uneducated some people were about farming, as I was recently talking to a well educated adult who was surprised to discover that cows had to have a calf before being able to produce milk.


However I am not alone, many farmers children are choosing not to go into farming with these difficult times. But farmers can come together, with events such as The Royal Highland Show this gives a chance for farmers all over the U.K to take part in healthy competition for their cattle. With healthy competition it allows farmers to see what other farmers are doing to improve their own practices. This also gives farmers an opportunity to see other suppliers and machinery to improve their farms.







I am so proud to say I grew up on a farm and had the childhood I did, as it made me who I am, and I think the end result is fabulous!





















All photos on this blog were taken by Heather Mackie from the cows at Belltrees 

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Heather,

    I'm a journalist at BBC Scotland. We're looking to find new people to speak to for our new news programme.
    I enjoyed your blog and I'm trying to find new people to speak to who are involved with farming. We want to speak to people who we're reaching well at the moment.

    If you're interested please email me at india.grant@bbc.co.uk. There's no pressure or anything! I'd love to chat if you're free.

    All the best,

    India

    ReplyDelete

Death In Farming

I have long believed that farming is one of the most selfless jobs out there. You work your whole life on the farm, it is your life. Working...